¡Bienvenidos!

¡Hola Hola! Here, in an attempt to bilingual-blog(!), I will document my México experience! I plan on dishing out the deets on my six-week Cuernavaca stay including (but by no means limited to); my immersion into the culture and the language, any random adventures that I may happen upon, weekend travels to D.F. and other breath-taking sights, and, of course, a full report on the delicious cuisine (tacostacos). Kick back and enjoy the adventures as I 'Make Some Big Jumps' and explore our southern-most neighbor!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

These hips don't lie

It's already the second Wednesday of the 6-week stay, my my time has flown! Thank goodness I am staying for 6 weeks, I couldn't imagine only staying for 3 weeks: there are four students from our group that are leaving a week from Sunday. When originally looking at figuring the trip into my grander summer plans, I figured that I would come to Cuernavaca only for 3 weeks in hopes to come back to the US of A after that and have an internship or shnazzy job waiting for my return. And then something hit me in the face like I was bike-riding into a brick wall: I am only young once (so cliche), so why the hell not get the experience I really wanted to have and stay for the whole 6-week period? So here I am, in Cuernavaca, looking at 1.5 weeks down and 4.5 more to come. Bring it on, baby.

Last week I took the free salsa-class offered to gringos at the University. Dang, rhythm is a hard thing to come by. I definitely have more practice as a sports-player and not as much practice as a dancing-fiend, so not gonna lie, I was pretty dang awkward. But of course since it was so much fun, I wanted to come back this week! So yesterday (the majority of our Gonzaga group) I went to the salsa class again, and this time my feet were feelin the beat. And my hips, my hips were moving kind of like Sharkira's (key word in this sentence being 'kind of').

It just so happens that downtown in the zócalo there is a bar/restaurant called Los Arcos that has salsa nights every Tuesday and Friday nights. They also have a mean happy-hour, and at a normal time too - 8 to 10pm, none of this 2ish to 6ish pm business the United States gives us. So a group of us went down to Los Arcos that night to practice our newly-learned salsa moves and have a Corona or two. That place was absolutely hopping, oh man, and there were some couples that sure did know how to move their hips. Definitely not lying.

Recommendation: Take a salsa class!! Do it. Don't want to go it alone? Bring a friend! Nothing better than improving your groove and being able to laugh with one another. I'll volunteer for the position if you really want :)

Besitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment