¡Bienvenidos!

¡Hola Hola! Here, in an attempt to bilingual-blog(!), I will document my México experience! I plan on dishing out the deets on my six-week Cuernavaca stay including (but by no means limited to); my immersion into the culture and the language, any random adventures that I may happen upon, weekend travels to D.F. and other breath-taking sights, and, of course, a full report on the delicious cuisine (tacostacos). Kick back and enjoy the adventures as I 'Make Some Big Jumps' and explore our southern-most neighbor!

Monday, May 17, 2010

Stairmasters and kegstands

After many attempts to upload photos to the blog, my impatience has gotten the best of me. It has taken at least half an hour per upload, so I feel as though my patience isn't that bad...? I'll upload a photo one of these days, I have about 40 more of them in Mexico, so there's plenty of time left!

Oh man except there was this one photo, of our first tequila "shots" in Mexico [I say "shot" in quotations because it was in an itty-bitty cup equivalent to about 1/4 of a shot of a drank]. But shoot, was that some delicious tequila, 100% hecho en Mexico. This took place at a pit-stop on our way to our excursion site on Sunday...

...and on Sunday we went on an excursion to the ancient Aztecan-city ruins of Teotihuacan. It's located north of Mexico City, and is still in tact after so many years of wear-and-tear [it's estimated that there were agricultural settlements there as far back as 600BC]. It was incredible to see how much people could do with their bare hands and a little bit 'o elbow grease! The temple of the Sun and the temple of the Moon were incredible, with the Sun temple towering about 72 meters, give or take, above ground! And yes, yes we did ascend the Sun temple. Let me tell you-stairmasters 'aint got nothin on this baby. Those old-fashioned pieces of equipment can kiss my thoroughly toned buns-and-thighs, thank you.

Flash forward to today, the first day of clases! Here was the schedule of the day (for me):

8am - Orientation
1015am - Advanced Grammar [this class is in the morning from 8am until 11am, but since I had orientation today I went late]
1115am - Conversation
1210pm - Advanced Composition
2pm - end of classes!

My teachers are great: in addition to speaking extremely-rapido espanol and being very funny, my Advanced Grammar teacher is also very exotic looking [in a very good way, of course] - dark skin, piercing eyes...bienvenidos a la Universidad, muchachas. My Conversation and Advanced Composition teacher is a riot, we talked about the indigenous people of both Mexico and of the United States, and then we chatted about some slang and explained the good American kegstand, which is explained as a very strange American tradition [si, es la verdad]. He told us of a group from Dallas [Texas, my state of choice] that was studying here and had a keg at one of their houses every single weekend... Now, there's the "Go Big or Go Home" kind of mentality that I so lovingly know Texas for. A little bit of Mexican culture, a little bit of American culture, and we're good.

It's really incredible though how much spanish I feel I am soaking up after only one day of classes. I have a feeling that I may not want to speak english for awhile once I return stateside. Amigos, be fore-warned...

OH MY GOSH AND MY BAG CAME TODAY!!!!!!! It was SO nice to be able to change into clean clothes after 3 days. Here's lookin at all of you back in the states: please please don't take advantage of your closets and dresser drawers. :)

Time for some homework. Hasta luego!

Besitos!


No comments:

Post a Comment